Sunday, February 21, 2010

Stomachs Emptied and Filled

Last evening we had a fun family dinner at the Northwestern College Gala Auction. We actually left before the audible auction, but had a good time nonetheless. In previous years the dinner was pizza. Last night it was pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans, potato chips, soda (pop), and ice cream bars. About six hours after the dinner we saw it again in a different form -- a gooey mass on Carie's pillow. I'm not sure if what she ate didn't agree with her or if she picked up a bug somewhere, but the cleanup effort was enormous. Bob dealt with he bed and I helped Carie. I did laundry until well after midnight because no sooner was I finally dozing off when Maggie came in and announced, "Carie threw up again." Off I went to clean her, remove her floor bedding, and create a new pallet on the floor for her with towels. She had soiled at least six blankets. Clean ones were becoming scarce.



When Carie woke this morning she was quite cheerful. I read to her and David for an hour after seeing that the rest of the family got breakfast. Bob and Maggie went to church while I was reading. I proceeded to ready myself and David for church, including giving a bath to David. In the end, I went to church by myself. It was a wonderful time of praise, worship, and reflection on God's word. Meanwhile, Bob had prepared brunch, so when I got home we had waffles, bacon, and eggs. I'm so thankful for Bob!



This evening Maggie and I joined many others at our church to help pack food for Kids Against Hunger to send to Haiti. Maggie and I had a good time working with others as we weighed and sealed packages. I enjoyed seeing the level of responsibility and ownership that the children of our church took as they bustled around making sure that packets of food and bins got where they needed to go. God is at work and it is exciting! He loves the people of Haiti, He loves us, and He has provided a way for us to use our hands in love to help. Thank you God!

No comments:

Post a Comment